How to Install Kodi on Smart TV, Android TV Box and Apple TV
Here in this article, you know about how to install this application on various systems in the easiest and most intuitive way.
If there is an application that has completely changed the way we watch TV, movies, and videos in general, it is Kodi.
This app will allow you, among other things, to share files wirelessly so that you can view them on your TV or other devices on which you have Kodi installed.
However, installing Kodi on Smart TV can be a bit complicated depending on the equipment you have.
Anyway, in this tutorial, I will show you how to install this application on various systems in the easiest and most intuitive way.
Remember, if you have any questions or found a better procedure, you can leave it in the comments at the end of the tutorial.
Recommended: Best Kodi Alternatives
What is Kodi and why should you install it?
In short, Kodi is an interesting tool that allows you to access all kinds of online multimedia content, such as videos, movies, series, music, and more.
Although, in its beginnings, it was designed exclusively for Xbox consoles, with the passing of time it was consolidated in other operating systems, with a very good reputation. And it is already possible to find it on Android.
These days, some users are looking for entertainment alternatives and Kodi has a clear advantage over services like Netflix or HBO; it is totally free.
It is worth noting that the use of this tool is legal, however, its open-source access may filter malicious software among its wide range of content.
That's why I recommend you use the best Builds and some quite popular Add-ons that will significantly improve your experience.
But the golden rule before installing Kodi on any device is to have an active VPN. With these considerations ready, we can proceed to install Kodi on our Smart or on the TV Box.
How to Install Kodi on Smart TV
There is hardly a brand of TV Box that comes with Android TV as an operating system, and that is Sony.
The other brands, such as Samsung and LG, have their own built-in system, which allows you to use some well-known apps such as Netflix and YouTube, but they do not support Kodi.
That said, if you want to install Kodi on a Smart TV, you need to have Android TV as its operating system. In the event that yours does, you just have to do the following:
- Enter the Play Store.
- Search for Kodi and install the application. That simple
You can also use your smartphone or tablet with Kodi and transmit the image of your Android mobile to the TV thanks to the integrated Chromecast, something that will also work for the method that we show you below.
There is another method that is a bit more confusing and that we do not know to what extent it will be worth it, and it consists of installing Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3 and then connecting it to the TV.
We tell you that we do not know if it is worth it since for the price it will cost you, you can buy an Android TV Box like the ones we will show you below, and although it costs a little more, we think it is worth a try.
See also: Best Android Emulators for Windows 10
Common Questions and Answers:
- How to install Kodi on Samsung Smart tv? Right now it is not possible to do this, so you must use a Box TV that allows it.
- How to install Kodi on LG webOS Smart tv? As with those of Samsung, right now it is not possible.
How to Install Kodi on Android TV
If you have an NVIDIA Shield or Xiaomi Mi Box, installing Kodi will be a fairly simple procedure, since you can find the Kodi application on the Play Store and install it directly.
However, if for some reason you cannot do it, you can also use the USB ports of the Android TV box to incorporate a USB Pen with the latest Kodi update.
- Download the latest Kodi update from this link:
- Choose Android and then the ARMV7A version (32Bit).
- Now that you have the APK, you must transfer the file to a USB to export it to the Android TV Box.
- Before continuing, on your TV Box, enter the Play Store and download/install ES File Explorer.
- You should also go to Settings, Security, and restrictions, Unknown sources, and allow the installation of apps from ES File Explorer.
- Connect the USB Pen to your TV Box and open the application that you have installed.
- Now you must find the folder of the USB Pen and Install the Kodi APK.
This procedure is the easiest for most, but as you will see below, there are ways to install Kodi on a TV Box without a USB Pen.
How to Install Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick
But let's imagine you don't have a USB Pen and you want to do everything wirelessly.
Or worse, you have a Fire Stick from Amazon that doesn't have USB ports, so you don't even have a choice. In this case, there are also several ways to install the Kodi APK.
The first procedure that I want to show you can be done with your Android smartphone and ES File Explorer:
- Install ES File Explorer on your mobile and also on the Fire Stick - you will find the application in the Amazon app market.
- On your mobile, go to the Kodi website and download the ARMV7A (32Bit) version of Android:
- Enter ES File Explorer from your mobile and find the APK that you just downloaded.
- Select the file, tap on the three dots, and select Share. Then, find the option to "Send via LAN", and you will see how the Fire Stick appears.
- After sending the file to your Fire Stick, you can install it normally. If you think this procedure is complicated, there is another way to install the APK, or rather, to download the APK directly from a source.
- The first thing you should do is download the Downloader by AFTVnews application.
- After opening the app, go to Kodi. tv/download and download the Android version for your Fire Stick TV.
Now you just have to finish installing it.
Note: This second procedure does not work in the NVIDIA Shield since December 2018. When you search in Downloader, it will give you an error saying that the page is restricted.
How to install Kodi on Apple TV
As you might already expect, installing Kodi on Apple TV is the most complicated process since we cannot install it directly from the tvOS App Store.
But that does not mean that you stop taking advantage of it. Here we explain 2 methods that will depend on the Apple TV you have, including one for the Apple TV 4K that does not have a USB port. Before proceeding with the installation, you need:
- Have a Mac or MacBook
- Having a fourth-generation or higher Apple TV device can be the Apple TV 4K.
- That the device has tvOS version 11 or higher
- Connect your Mac to the same WiFi network as your Apple TV
- Download the latest version of Kodi for iOS
Make sure to download the 64-bit version of Kodi, which corresponds to the DEB file, as this will be important later.
Take into account that if you download a Beta version through the tab Development Builds, you may have problems at the time of installation.
Also read: 10 Apps To Repair Dead Pixels
Install Kodi on Apple TV with Xcode
This process is useful for devices such as Apple TV 4K that do not have a USB port that allows them to connect directly with the Mac.
The process will be the same as for devices connected with the USB port, with the difference that you must create connection wireless.
Connecting Apple TV to Mac without USB port
- From the Apple TV access the Settings
- Go to Remote controls and devices and then to the Remote apps and devices section.
- Leave the Apple TV on this screen.
- Now on your Mac open Xcode; through the menu bar, access Windows and then the Devices and Simulator section.
- A new window will open in which the name of your Apple TV should appear. Make sure you have both devices connected to the same WiFi network.
- Select Apple TV and check the button to pair both devices.
- A verification code will appear from the TV
- Enter the verification code in Xcode from the Mac and the connection is ready.
Installing Kodi on Apple TV with Xcode
When the devices are already connected, either by USB or wirelessly, we proceed to install Kodi on Apple TV, creating an application with the Xcode tool.
- Open Xcode on the Mac and select New Project.
- From the left side of the new window select tvOS and then Application
- Choose Single View Application and select the button Next
- Now you need to give the app a name. Although you can put whatever you want, the most logical would be Kodi or one that is ready. You will also create a unique identifier with that name.
- You will also need to add your Apple ID. Take into account that if you use a developer ID, you will not have problems, but if you use that of a normal user, it is possible that in 7 days the app will stop working and you will have to repeat this procedure one more time.
At this moment we are already halfway through the procedure, but it is very common to have some errors.
The most common, for example, is the message Failed to create a provisioning profile. If you have this error, you can quickly try to fix it by doing 2 things:
- Change the destination window for the Apple TV to which you will install Kodi.
- Change the Bundle Identifier.
If everything has gone well, then we can continue with iOS App Signer, the application that will prepare the IPA file that we will then use in Xcode to send Kodi to our Apple TV.
It sounds complex, but you only need to follow a few more steps:
- Open the iOS App Signer. If it tells you something about the Provisioning Profile Signature, choose the No.
- In the first part of the app, for the field Input File choose the Kodi DEB file
- Modify the App Display Name field and put the name with which the tool will be displayed, you can put Kodi to identify it more easily.
- It is not necessary to change the fields Signing Certificate or Provisioning Profile
- Tap on start and wait. The App Signer tool will begin to decompress the data from the DEB file to create a new one. In the end, you will receive a notification.
- Enter Xcode and connect to your Apple TV from Windows (Window)> Devices.
- Now you just have to find and send the IPA file that you have created for your Apple TV through the "+" symbol in the lower-left corner.
Once Xcode has finished the process, you can disconnect your Apple TV from the Mac computer. Now connect your Apple TV to the TV and turn it on, this way you should see the app already installed.
Read also: Best IMEI changer root apps
Install Kodi on Apple TV with Cydia Impactor
Another way to install Kodi on Apple TV is by using the Cydia Impactor tool. Despite being an effective method, and that you can do using both a Mac and a Windows computer, it is important to bear in mind that this third-party tool is not recognized by Apple and sometimes has bugs.
On the other hand, we can only use it with an Apple TV with a USB port.
It is a fairly simple method, which, like the previous one, consists of converting the DEB file of the latest version of Kodi, into an IPA file that can be executed on the Apple TV.
For this, we need to download Cydia Impactor and follow the necessary steps, which I will explain in 2 parts.
Creating the IPA file
Before starting, make sure you have a free app to unzip ZIP files. You can use WinRAR on Windows, or The Unarchiver for Mac. With these tools we start:
- Unzip the Kodi DEB file. Among the resulting files, you will find one named data.tar which you must also unzip.
- You should now see a folder called data. Access and find the directory Applications.
- Inside this directory, you will see the folder Kodi.app which you should not open.
- From here you must create a new folder with the name Payload.
- Now copy the Kodi.app directory into the Payload folder that you just created.
- The Payload directory will have to be compressed as a ZIP file. You can use any file compressor, the important thing is to keep the ZIP format.
- The last thing you should do is rename the compressed file to KODI.ipa
At this point, we have our file created and we can proceed to install Kodi on the Apple TV.
Installing Kodi on Apple TV with Cydia Impactor
The first thing you should do is download and install Cydia Impactor from its official website.
Then connect the Apple TV to the computer, make sure to close iTunes if necessary; and open the Cydia Impactor tool, which you will see is very easy to use.
You just have to drag the IPA file into the tool; then enter your Apple ID with access credentials when the tool asks for it.
Now let Cydia Impactor finish installing Kodi on Apple TV, a process that may take a few minutes. When it's done, you can disconnect your Apple TV from your computer and test it on your TV. Kodi should already be installed.
Must see: How to Protect Your Privacy on Android
This is all you need. I hope you liked this tutorial and more importantly, it has helped you to install Kodi on Smart TV, Android TV Box, and Apple TV.
And if for any reason you have problems installing Kodi, or you have any questions about a process, write to us in the comments so we can help you.